Monday, March 19, 2018
Text Size

Download the Guidelines for Non-Profit Organizations.


1. Bake Sales Conducted by Not for Profit Organizations - A Bake sale is defined as the vending or sale of non-potentially hazardous food, by a Religious or Not for Profit Organization, prepared off site, at an un-inspected facility, and not connected to an event, fair or festival.

Sales of non-potentially hazardous foods, by legitimate Not for Profit organizations, at bake sales which are not associated with a fair or festival, will be issued a "Not for Profit Permit to Vend" at no charge. The usual restrictions regarding potentially hazardous food will apply.

2. Cookie & Candy Fund Raisers – Commercially prepared and prepackaged Cookies and Candies sold as fund raisers by Religious or Not for Profit organizations, and not sold in conjunction with a fair or festival, will not require a permit. Examples of this would be Girl Scout cookies at Wal-Mart, school candy bar sales, and will include bottled water sales.

3. Church or Not For Profit Pot Luck Suppers – A pot luck supper is defined as a food event held by a Not For Profit Organization, for its members and not open to the general public. Food served at these events is prepared, partially or in whole, by the members, at un-inspected facilities. If by advertising the event, it becomes open to the general public, it no longer meets the definition of a potluck supper and will be subject to the requirements of the Jefferson County Health Department.

Pot Luck Suppers do not require any type of permit.

4. Public Church Dinners or Public Not For Profit Dinners – Any food vended, advertised to the general public as offered for sale or given away must meet the permitting, education and inspection requirements of the Jefferson County Health Department Food Ordinance .

5. Wedding Receptions, Bereavement Meals, School Picnic Reunions, and Receptions – These events are not under regulation by the Jefferson County Health Department, where such events are not open to the general public. Individual family members and friends providing food at these events are not regulated.


A Public Church Dinner or Public Not for Profit Dinner can obtain the following types of permits:

1. A Temporary Permit - Churches or Not for Profits hosting public events can obtain a temporary permit for a fee of fifty ($50.00) dollars. This permit would allow the organization to sell food for 14 consecutive days during a calendar month at the same site, or 14 non-consecutive days at the same site during a calendar month. A new permit could be obtained each calendar month if needed. Obtaining a permit each month would total $600. per year.

The educational requirement for a temporary permit is that one person be present at the event, from the hosting organization, who has current training in the 2 ½ hour food safety course. That person would be responsible for and exercise control of the event during food preparation, service and cleanup.

2. A Food Service Establishment Permit – Churches or Not for Profits hosting public events can obtain a Food Service Establishment Permit good for an entire year from January 1st to December 31st. The fee for this permit is determined by the the public health priority risk assessment. The risk assessment is determined by the type of food served, how it is to be served and history of food-borne illness if any. Such a permit allows for the sale of food to the public 365 days a year. The kitchen would be required to meet the requirements of the Jefferson County Health Department and would be routinely inspected based on risk.

The education requirement for this type of permit would require that someone be present during the hours of the event who had a current Food Service Managers food safety certification. (The two day course). At any given event, at least fifty percent of the people serving food would be required to have a current food safety certificate from the 2 ½ hour food safety course.

Login Form